IRS Introduces In-Person Identity Verification for Taxpayers
In an important move towards enhancing security measures, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) now offers taxpayers the option of in-person identity verification through ID.me. This new initiative aims to provide a secure and convenient method for individuals to verify their identity when accessing various online IRS services. Let’s delve into the details of this process and understand the three options available for identity verification.
Options for Identity Verification:
The IRS, in collaboration with ID.me, offers three distinct options for individuals to verify their identity:
(1) Self-Service Process with a Selfie:
- Taxpayers can opt for a self-service process that involves submitting a selfie for identity verification.
- This option provides a convenient way for individuals to confirm their identity without the need for direct interaction with an agent.
(2) Video Chat with a Live ID.me Agent:
- Another option available is a video chat with a live ID.me agent.
- This interactive method ensures real-time verification, offering a personalized touch to the identity confirmation process.
(3) In-Person Verification at a UPS Location:
- The latest addition to the identity verification options is the in-person verification at a UPS location.
- Taxpayers can visit a participating UPS Store, where they can use a kiosk to submit copies of their government-issued identification documents and have a photo taken.
Requirements for In-Person Verification:
To utilize the in-person verification option, taxpayers must have a social security number. It’s important to note that Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) holders are required to use the video chat with a live ID.me agent process to verify their identity.
Scheduling an Appointment at UPS Store:
For those opting for in-person verification, the process involves scheduling an appointment at a participating UPS Store. This step ensures a streamlined experience for taxpayers, allowing them to choose a convenient time for the verification process.
Services Covered by Identity Verification:
The identity verification process is applicable to a range of online IRS services, including but not limited to:
- Online Account
- Business Tax Account
- Tax Pro Account
- Get Transcript Online
- Online Payment Agreement
- Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)
- Submit Forms 2848 and 8821 Online
The introduction of in-person identity verification by the IRS reflects a commitment to bolstering the security of online services. Taxpayers now have the flexibility to choose from multiple options, including the novel in-person verification at UPS locations. This initiative not only enhances security but also offers individuals a choice in how they verify their identity when engaging with various online IRS services. Stay informed, stay secure.
For more information, visit:
Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Administrative Assistant