Do I need a legal name change?

Yes, if you want your government-issued IDs (BMV ID or driver’s license, social security card, passport, birth certificate) to have the name you go by, you need to get a legal name change.


Who can change their name?

Most Indiana residents can change their name. The only people not allowed a legal name change are people currently incarcerated in jail or prison and sex or violent offenders who are required to register. The law also says you must be a United States Citizen to change your name but, if you are an immigrant who wants to change your name, please contact us at or 765-423-2703.


What does the name and gender marker process look like?

An overview of the name and gender marker change process can be found here.


I’m under 17 years old, can I change my name?

YES! If you are under 17, your parent or guardian must make the request for the name and gender change for you.


What if one of my parents is not supportive of my name change?

Your parents or guardians don’t have to agree with each other for you to get your name changed. There are a lot of rules about if a parent must agree to the name change. If you have questions about your situation, please contact us at or 765-423-2703.


Do I need a legal gender change?

Maybe. You only court ordered gender change to update an Indiana birth certificate. You need a doctor’s letter to update your passport, social security card and driver’s license or BMV ID. 


Who can change their gender?

Anyone! There are no restrictions on who can change their gender.


Do I need to have surgery or be on hormones to legally change my name or gender?

NO! The law just says that you must be changing your name and gender in good faith and not for fraudulent purposes. For more information on this, see our Forms and Hearing Guides.


Can I get a nonbinary ID?

Yes! In March 2019, the BMV began issuing IDs with a nonbinary (x) gender markers. A guide about how to update Indiana Ids can be found here.  If you need a court ordered gender change, please contact us at or 765-423-2703 for help with a nonbinary gender marker change.


How do I start the process of a name and gender change?

Contact the LGBT project at or 765-423-2703. We can write the paperwork for you or represent you in court if having a lawyer would be helpful. You can also fill out the forms found here and represent yourself in court. Detailed information about the steps of a name and gender change and the forms needed can be found here.


Helpful Links:

Name and Gender Marker Change Process and Hearing Guide

Name and Gender Marker Change Forms  

LGBT Law Project

Table of Contents