My Driver's License Is Suspended...What Can I Do?

If your Indiana driver’s license is suspended, it could be for one or more reasons.  Some common reasons for suspension and what you can do follow.

My license was suspended for not paying a traffic ticket – what can I do?

Pay the ticket and make sure the county clerk forwards the record of your payment to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

My license was suspended because I had a car accident and a money judgment was entered against me –what are my options?

If you can afford to regularly pay on the judgment, you can ask the court to order a repayment plan and reinstate your driver’s license.

What if my license was suspended for other reasons? 

Click on the document below for information about Indiana’s Specialized Driving Privileges (SDP) if your license was suspended for other reasons, such as:

  • driving without insurance

  • driving while under the influence (if you have not already successfully completed a certified rehabilitation program, enroll in one as soon as possible)

  • being a habitual traffic violator (HTV).

What if there is a mistake on my driving record or I think that my license was wrongly suspended?

You can challenge the BMV’s decision to suspend your license if you have reason to believe that a mistake was made. Contact a private attorney or local legal services provider as soon as you receive notice that your license is being suspended. Time limits apply for challenging the BMV’s decision.

Some other things to remember

Keep your address up to date with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) so that you receive important BMV notices, including suspension notices.

Keep copies of receipts when paying traffic tickets or reinstatement fees.

Almost all license suspensions require you to pay a reinstatement fee to get your driver’s license reinstated (if you are eligible for reinstatement). To find out what reinstatement fees you owe, contact the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles or visit to access your driving record online.

Contact a private attorney or your local legal services provider if you want help with asking for specialized driving privileges or driver's license reinstatement.

Last revised: 10-2015

How helpful do you find the information on this page?

Add comment

Table of Contents