Home Energy Assistance Program

Gas heating costs are expected to be very high this winter. There is some help available for low-income Hoosiers. Indiana's Energy Assistance Program gives financial help to low-income households to keep utility services on during the winter heating season.

The Energy Assistance Program provides money to pay utility bills. In addition, if you have applied for the Energy Assistance Program, then utility companies cannot shut off your home heating service during the winter. Gas and electric utilities may not shut off service between December 1 and March 15 each year to customers who are eligible and have applied for or who are receiving help from the Energy Assistance Program.

Households with income at or below 150 percent of the poverty guidelines are eligible to receive benefits from this program. Other factors such as whether there are household members with disabilities may also affect eligibility.

The Energy Assistance Program usually begins in November of each heating season and ends in the spring, or until the program runs out of money May 31. Benefits are provided on a first come, first serve basis.

It is possible (and even likely) that the funds for this program will run out before the end of this winter season. However, it is still important to apply for the program to keep your utilities on during the winter months because if you have applied for the assistance and you are eligible for the assistance, your gas and electric cannot be shut off between December 1 and March 15.

Another benefit to applying for Energy Assistance: you may be eligible for additional help from your utility company. Citizens Gas, Vectren and N IPSCO will provide additional assistance to low income persons who have applied for and are eligible for Energy Assistance. These companies will provide a deduction on your monthly gas bill or money that can go toward deposits/delinquent bills. For more information on the programs of these utility companies, see Utility Company Assistance

To apply for the Energy Assistance Program you need to contact your local Community Action Agency. Find your local Community Action agency here Community Action Agency

You may also be able to get assistance from your local trustee’s office or local churches if you still need help keeping your utilities on this winter.

LSC Code:
Last Revised: 10-05

Table of Contents