After a judge has signed the order that legally changes your name and gender marker, there are two things you need to do to update your IDS:


1: Get copies of your order

To use the court order to update your IDs, you need to get it certified. A certified order has a special stamp that tells people it is an official court document.


To get certified copies of your order, go to the clerk’s office. This is the same office where you started your case.


It can cost up to $2 a page to get the order certified. You should get 3-5 orders.


2: Update your IDs

Updating IDs requires a lot of paperwork and running around. Each place that gives you an ID has its own rules about how to update the name and gender marker.  


Get our instructions and forms for updating your IDs. The guide includes info about:

  • Indiana Voter Registration
  • Social Security Card
  • Indiana driver’s license or ID
  • Indiana Birth Certificate
  • US Passport
  • USCIS Immigration Documents


We also suggest updating your name with your banks, credit cards and credit reporting agencies.


Information about updating out-of-state IDs is at the National Center for Transgender Equality’s ID Document Center.

Table of Contents