WORKER RIGHTS AND PROTECTION PROJECT (WRAPP) PROJECT DIRECTOR
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS has approximately 85 funding sources, including the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, and Area Agencies on Aging. WRAPP is a statewide program that provides knowyour-rights education to vulnerable communities, including immigrants, migrant farmworkers, and human trafficking survivors, and provides advice, brief services, and/or direct representation to clients on matters related to their employment or exploitation.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position can be located in any ILS office. Not all the hours worked require being in the office; some of the work can be completed remotely.
JOB SUMMARY: The WRAPP Director for Indiana Legal Services leads the Project. The Director will supervise the project staff and their work so that the project provides high-quality legal representation and services to eligible clients regarding the legal issues being targeted. The Director will also maintain a caseload providing representation to eligible clients. The Director will collaborate with other ILS offices and projects by sharing expertise, research, and pleadings, and by consulting, training, and co-counseling cases as appropriate.
- Supervise a diverse team of advocates committed to helping low-wage workers and migrant farmworkers understand and exercise their legal rights.
- Represent WRAPP clients, maintaining a caseload reflective of management responsibilities and lower than full-time litigators.
- Run and review compliance reports to ensure the project operates in compliance with all relevant statutes, regulations, rules, grant requirements, and ILS policies.
- Draft grant applications and reports for funders.
- Represent ILS at community meetings and engage with statewide coalition partners.
- Manage relationships with and provide legal trainings to community partners.
- Collaborate with partners in strategic planning and impact litigation.
- Respond to media inquiries and direct WRAPP’s social media messaging.
- Make appropriate referrals to outside agencies.
- Help organize state and regional legal training events.
- Assure the project reaches all relevant areas of the state.
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of Indiana Legal Services, which is to use the law to fight poverty and racism, empower clients, and improve access to justice.
- Juris Doctorate degree and license to practice law in Indiana, or able to become licensed soon after acceptance.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job responsibilities throughout Indiana.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with diverse populations.
- Unless exempt under federal or state law, the person who is hired for this position must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 within 60 days of starting the position. Reasonable accommodations will be provided in accordance with state and federal law.
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is $65,401, with a range up to a maximum of $96,743, depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefit package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a flex benefit plan.
TO APPLY: Please apply only by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. For questions regarding the status of your application please contact ILS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled. Preference may be given to early applicants.