INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
TEMPORARY STAFF ATTORNEY
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Way, Area Agencies on Aging, Lilly Endowment and approximately 60 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position will ideally be in the Fort Wayne, Merrillville, or South Bend ILS office.
POSITION SUMMARY: This is a full-time temporary staff attorney position funded through September 30, 2023. Staff Attorneys in the LAVA Project provide high-quality direct civil legal services to older adults and endangered adults who are the victim of a crime. Staff Attorneys also engage in outreach events and building relationships with community partners. The Staff Attorney will provide direct legal services to eligible victims of crime on civil legal issues arising from their victimization in areas including financial exploitation, guardianship, fiduciary abuse, housing, family law, protection orders, public benefits, and victims’ rights enforcement. In addition to providing direct legal services, the Staff Attorney will conduct outreach and training to legal and allied professionals on elder abuse and help increase multidisciplinary, coordinated responses. Staff Attorneys are also expected to help with grant reporting, project communications, and to participate in multidisciplinary coalition meetings.
- Provide victim-centered, trauma-informed direct legal services to victims of crime throughout the State of Indiana
- Maintain a caseload in the legal focus area
- Provide community education through presentations and publications, participating in coalitions, and being a resource to community partners
- Build and strengthen key stakeholder relationships in furtherance of the LAVA Project objectives
- Work with Adult Protective Services, IN-CASE, and other groups to develop a referral network to identify clients
- Contribute to required programmatic reporting and overall program evaluation
- Work with other LAVA Project staff
- Comply with all ILS policies and procedures for legal work management
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Dedicated to the mission, vision, and values of Indiana Legal Services
- Licensed to practice law in Indiana
- Excellent negotiation and litigation skills
- Experience representing clients with diminished capacity is strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, experience delivering trainings and presentations is a plus
- Available transportation and ability to travel throughout the state as needed to perform job responsibilities throughout the state, particularly to remote, rural counties
- Interest in working with older and endangered adults who are victims of a crime
- Proven leadership skills with a strong work ethic
- Demonstrate commitment to social justice, with the desire to increase access to justice for victims of crime and achieve results
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
- An ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary setting to facilitate a coordinated community response and provide holistic services to clients
- Ability to comply with ILS policies and procedures and competently perform all job duties, with reasonable accommodations
POSITION START DATE: As soon as reasonably possible
COMPENSATION: The starting salary for the position is $57,425 with a range up to a maximum
of $75,535 depending on experience.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a list of 3 references with email addresses and
telephone numbers through our online job postings or by email to email@example.com