INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
SOUTH BEND STAFF ATTORNEY
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, and approximately 60 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position is located in the South Bend office of Indiana Legal Services. ILS is a hybrid work environment that allows remote work.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time staff attorney position. The attorney will provide substantive legal assistance and representation to low-income eligible clients. They may focus on specific areas of practice or be generalists, depending on client and office needs. They also may assist with community legal education and work with community groups as assigned. The attorney will work under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
- Provide high quality legal representation in court proceedings in administrative, state, and federal court proceedings.
- Provide high quality legal advice, limited service, and negotiation.
- Review applications for legal assistance to assess legal issues and needs.
- Develop specialized expertise in areas of poverty law and learn to recognize issues and develop major litigation on issues of importance to clients.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local and state bar associations and community agencies that serve or work on issues affecting ILS’s clients.
- Provide community education and work with community groups.
- Conduct outreach in the ten counties in the South Bend Office service area.
- Utilize paralegal and other support staff to support your practice.
- Foster collegiality and teamwork within ILS, including sharing work product and expertise.
- Comply with all LSC and grant requirements and all ILS policies and procedures.
- Dedicated to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
- Licensed to practice law in Indiana or able promptly to become licensed.
- At least three (3) years of attorney experience is preferred but not required.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with diverse populations.
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is $57,425, with a range up to a maximum of $75,535, depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a flex benefit plan.
POSITION START DATE: As soon as reasonably possible.
TO APPLY: Apply online or via email by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. Applications or questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.