INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, and approximately 60 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER:
ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position is located in the Merrillville office of Indiana Legal Services. ILS is a hybrid work environment that allows remote work.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a full-time attorney position. The attorney will provide legal assistance and representation in evictions, housing, family, consumer, public benefits, and other civil legal case types and perform other duties as needed. The attorney will work under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
- Provide high quality legal representation in court and administrative proceedings.
- Provide high quality legal advice to clients as well as limited services, including assistance with negotiations.
- Review applications for legal assistance to assess legal issues and needs.
- Develop expertise in specific areas of law impacting ILS clients.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local and state bar associations and community agencies that serve ILS clients or that work on issues affecting ILS clients.
- Provide community education and work with local community groups.
- Foster collegiality and teamwork within ILS, including sharing work product and expertise with colleagues.
- Comply with all LSC and grant requirements and all ILS policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Indiana Legal Services which is to use the law to fight poverty and racism, empower clients, and improve access to justice.
- Licensed to practice law in Indiana.
- At least two (2) years of litigation experience is preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with diverse populations.
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is $57,425, with a range up to a maximum of $75,535, depending on relevant experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, a flex benefit plan and generous vacation and sick leave. ILS will pay up to $2,500 in moving expenses if the successful applicant needs to move from another city to assume this position.
POSITION START DATE: As soon as possible.
TO APPLY: Apply online or via email by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience,
your resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers.
Applications or questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.