INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, and approximately 65 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position may be located in any Indiana Legal Services office. A hybrid work schedule may be available.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a part-time intake specialist position (30 hours per week). The primary role of the intake specialist is to interview potential clients for legal services. The intake specialist will staff the Central Intake call center under the supervision of the Central Intake Director. Intake interviews are conducted primarily by telephone; there may be some in-person intake interviews and online intake interview follow-up as well. The intake specialist may also assist staff attorneys with a variety of assignments including correspondence and other clerical tasks.
- Interview applicants for assistance, by telephone, in office and remotely;
- Become knowledgeable about ILS client eligibility requirements, including various grant eligibility requirements;
- Enter applicant data into the case management system accurately;
- Provide attorneys with an intake summary sufficient to facilitate an initial assessment of the legal issues relevant to the application;
- Assist attorneys as requested with case handling, client contact, document and correspondence drafting and general support, including clerical and administrative tasks;
- Perform such other duties as assigned.
- Dedicated to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Outlook and able to quickly learn new software.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Interest in working with low-income individuals to assist with their legal needs.
- Excellent typing skills are required.
- Sensitivity to a diverse client population, including clients with health conditions.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Be team-oriented and calm under pressure.
- Have excellent case management skills and be able to shift focus without hesitation.
- College degree, paralegal certification, and/or experience working in a law office is preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish at an ACTFL superior level is preferred, but not required.
- Stable and secure, high-speed internet access
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is $ 31,777.60, with a range up to a maximum of $42,179.20 depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, a 401k plan, a flex benefit plan, and generous vacation and sick leave.
START DATE: As soon as reasonably possible.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and a list of 3 references with email addresses and telephone
numbers by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.