INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Way, Area Agencies on Aging, Lilly Endowment and approximately 60 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position is located in the Evansville office of Indiana Legal Services.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Legal Navigator assists with providing civil legal aid services through supporting ILS lawyers and other staff, staffing of self-help clinics, and providing legal navigation services. Forty percent of the position’s time will be spent staffing virtual civil legal aid navigation services through www.indianalegalhelp.org and the balance on programs operated by the Evansville office of ILS. Most services will involve housing stability and eviction needs.
- Provides legal information to low-income residents through virtual platforms and inperson clinics.
- Supports ILS and other attorneys providing legal services to ILS clients.
- Supports pro bono lawyers providing legal services to ILS clients.
- Coordinates service events, such as phone and live walk-in clinics.
- Maintains familiarity with relevant court procedures in the relevant service area counties and works to assist volunteer attorneys to comply with such.
- Maintains familiarity with local social service providers assisting area low-income clients and works in partnership with them.
- Complies with all relevant laws, regulations, and funder-imposed restrictions and guidelines.
- Dedicated to the mission of Indiana Legal Services, which is to use the law to fight poverty and racism, empower clients, and improve access to justice.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and able to quickly learn new software.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well with persons with diverse cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Ability to work as a team member and collaborate with others.
- College degree, paralegal certification, and/or experience working in a law office is preferred.
COMPENSATION: The starting salary for the navigator position is $35,432.50 with a range up to a maximum of $47,806.50 depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, Rx), disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a flex benefit plan.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a list of 3 references with email addresses and
telephone numbers through our online job postings or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.