INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
TEMPORARY BILINGUAL PARALEGAL
IMMIGRANTS’ AND LANGUAGE RIGHTS CENTER
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, and approximately 65 other funding sources. The ILRC is a statewide immigration program of Indiana Legal Services. The ILRC works to provide free legal services to immigrants and limited English proficient (LEP) individuals throughout the state. The ILRC works primarily on humanitarian and family-based immigration cases. Primary case types include asylum, U nonimmigrant visa, T nonimmigrant visa, Violence against Women Act (VAWA) self-petitions, special immigrant juvenile status (SIJS) applications, and naturalization.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position is located in the Indianapolis office of Indiana Legal Services.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a temporary 6 month full-time paralegal position. The paralegal will primarily conduct legal intakes and support the attorneys of the ILRC in the representation of immigrants on humanitarian and family-based immigration petitions. The position will be part of the statewide ILRC. The paralegal will work under the supervision of the ILRC Project Director. The paralegal position is an excellent opportunity for those committed to poverty law and immigrant rights.
- Conducting client intake interviews by phone. Most of the client interviews will be with nonEnglish speakers and will be conducted in Spanish or through an interpreter.
- Post-intake inquires, letters, and document collection.
- Case management and client communication.
- Assisting with immigration and immigrants’ rights cases, including immigration form preparation.
- Translating documents between English and Spanish.
- Interpreting during US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) interviews before Indiana Field Office.
- Administrative tasks such as scheduling, filing, mailing, and ordering office supplies.
- Contribution to programmatic reporting required under the federal award, when required.
- Work in a team environment.
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English (written and spoken). Fluency in other foreign languages is helpful but not required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Applicants who are certified for interpretation and/or translation are preferred but certification not required.
- Previous paralegal experience and experience working with immigration cases is also preferred but not required.
- Must be computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Dedicated to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
COMPENSATION: The starting salary for the paralegal position is $39,722 with a range up to a maximum of $52,724 depending on experience.
TO APPLY: Apply online or via email by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume, and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers.
Applications and questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.