INDIANA LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
DIRECTOR OF TRAINING
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) is a statewide, not-for profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through 8 branch offices. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging, and approximately 60 other funding sources.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: ILS is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any category protected by law. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and other applicants of color, people with disabilities, and other people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
LOCATION: This position may be located in any Indiana Legal Services office.
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Training will serve as a key member of the management team at Indiana Legal Services. The Director of Training will be responsible for internal and external training for attorney and non-attorney staff and will provide supervision of certain managing attorneys and project directors. The Director of Training will report to the Executive Director.
- Serve as a key member of the management team.
- Oversee the organization’s training program by assessing employee training needs; designing training plans; managing/directing employee training; and analyzing the effectiveness of employee training programs.
- Represent ILS in organizing regional and national trainings.
- Work in conjunction with Human Resources to provide an effective and thorough onboarding experience throughout the organization.
- Supervise certain managing attorneys and project directors.
- Perform other such duties as assigned.
POTENTIAL ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities of the director of training may be carried out in conjunction with other responsibilities depending upon the successful applicant’s interest and ability. Additional duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Duties now performed by the ILS general counsel, including providing advice and expertise on professional conduct matters and serving as malpractice/claim liaison with insurers;
- Duties of another ILS position such as managing attorney, senior attorney, or staff attorney. Applicants for this position may suggest in a cover letter performing the duties of Director of Training in conjunction with other duties such as case handling or management responsibilities they already perform
- Dedication to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
- J.D. degree after graduation from an ABA-accredited law school and admitted to practice law in Indiana or any non-attorney applicant should describe in a cover letter how they would fulfill the responsibilities listed in this job description (with the exception of supervising attorneys).
- Law practice experience, preferably serving low-income clients.
- Leadership and supervision skills.
- Demonstrated experience teaching, training, or instructing both groups and individuals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment while remaining organized and handling multiple responsibilities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
COMPENSATION: Starting salary is $72,369.50, with a range up to a maximum of $108,554.25,
depending on experience. ILS offers an excellent fringe benefits package including health insurance
(medical, dental, vision, Rx), student loan repayment assistance, disability insurance, life insurance, a
401(k) plan, and a flex benefit plan.
TO APPLY: Apply online by submitting a letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume,
and a list of at least 3 professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. For questions
regarding your application please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
POSITION START DATE: As soon as reasonably possible.